September 21, 2024, 11:18:38 pm

Author Topic: Massive Griefing, becomes unbearable!!!!  (Read 10407 times)

Sephir1

• View Profile
Massive Griefing, becomes unbearable!!!!
« on: March 11, 2012, 07:24:41 pm »
Hey all Opti People,

some of you might now me, since i loved to build i would say "sepcial" buidlings on opticraft.

I love this Server!! Its pretty much the best i ever played on, a nice community, great and fast reaction from Mods/Opīs and Admin...

It all worked fine, you got griefed from time to time but, the staff could handle it well and it never was a big problem...
But that changed dramactically the last few weeks....im happy for opticraft to get this popular, like the server deserve it, BUT I canīt be, that EVERYDAY i log in my tree and several other buildings like the japanese house or my water sphere got nearly completely destroyed!!!! Thats not a little grief anymore, thats a big destruction which wasting hours of hours of hard work =((

My way of minecraft is to build awesome structures in survival mode, because creative is no challenge for me..."itīs my way of minecraft!" and it was a lot of fun to do so....but now its just a pain and to frustrating to bear anymore, see your buildings day by day got destroyed this much!!!!

HELP OPTICRAFT!!! PLZ OPTICALZA DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! My buildings was i would say about 80% to 90% protected with ps stones, but still there was a lot of damage, lately my ps stones failed completely and didnīt protect anything, even worse if i tried to replace them, they became common coal ores!! Wtf!!!oO!! (logan recorded it with me) the money is lost and i dont have the money to get any acceptable protection for my buildings....

My friends "DerSheriff", "Sinedh" and "DarkMarie" also took a look about the buildings and also got some mods to fix grief even when im not on, sheriff told my yesterday that my tree got about 40-50% destroyed whitout even noticing it, he let repair the grief, a few hours later i join the game...same thing...logan and me took it like forever to fix it again...then i log out, came back a few hours later..THE FUCKING SAME!!!!!!!!!!! Wtf is wrong with the people?!?!?!?!?! If there wonīt be done anything about it, i REALLY have to say a very sad goodbye to Opticraft...and a lot of people i really like there, like drowse, persians, logan, royal, tbpb, sheriff, sinedh, marie, gurra, festhos and and and....

plz i dont know what can be done, but there need to be something done...

Thanks all for your time

Much love Sephir1

Zezenov

• View Profile
Re: Massive Griefing, becomes unbearable!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:41:55 pm »
As far as I'm concerned, the whole buying protection stones system is flawed.  I don't see why protection from griefers has to be something that is earned .  If the mods can clearly see that you built something nice, why can't it be protected? Protection stones are all well and good for small things, but expansive builds need something else.  I'm pretty sure they're planning on doing something like this in the future.

Tobs

• Senior Staff
  • Administrator
  • Champion Member
  • Banhammers must be worn at all times!
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 11:40:36 pm »
Optical has new anti-grief methods to come hopefully, but at the moment he is busy working on much more important things for the server.

Don't let griefing make you leave, it's really annoying and  I know that but at the end of the day its one less griefer in the game once they are banned. A lot of the time we even fix stuff without you even having to be online. But as I said, we do our best to control it and there should be preventional things to come.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:22:01 am »
As far as I'm concerned, the whole buying protection stones system is flawed.  I don't see why protection from griefers has to be something that is earned .  If the mods can clearly see that you built something nice, why can't it be protected? Protection stones are all well and good for small things, but expansive builds need something else.  I'm pretty sure they're planning on doing something like this in the future.

this is a survival server. it is not about making the fanciest build. it's about earning things and surviving. having mods check out your build is not a fun job for mods. mods should interfere as little as possible.

while i can agree with you that griefing with this many players online is getting to be a problem, i don't think we should just hand out protection stones to people that made something neat, either.

Zezenov

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 03:55:48 am »
As far as I'm concerned, the whole buying protection stones system is flawed.  I don't see why protection from griefers has to be something that is earned .  If the mods can clearly see that you built something nice, why can't it be protected? Protection stones are all well and good for small things, but expansive builds need something else.  I'm pretty sure they're planning on doing something like this in the future.

this is a survival server. it is not about making the fanciest build. it's about earning things and surviving. having mods check out your build is not a fun job for mods. mods should interfere as little as possible.

while i can agree with you that griefing with this many players online is getting to be a problem, i don't think we should just hand out protection stones to people that made something neat, either.

I disagree.  I mean, what is 'surviving' really?  Growing some wheat in the garden, tossing that together into some bread, and having a proper munch on it from time to time?  Then waving your metal sword at the unfortunate skeleton passerby? Pretty much.  And then you say 'earning things'? Earning what exactly?  Money? To buy more blocks with?  Or perhaps diamonds to make tools to get blocks faster?  That's all well and good but the only purpose of acquiring these blocks is to actually place them.  Thus the purpose on a survival server, as on a creative server is to build things.  The only difference between the two types of servers is that on the survival server you get a handicap where you have to collect the blocks yourself and deal with the occasional monster and empty stomach. But the purpose is still very much to build things.  Which leads back into what I said about the protection stones.  The ONLY purpose of a protection stone is to protect oneself from griefing.  Which then makes me wonder why the server makes it so hard to get enough of these for large builds.  Why should we, in the case of big areas, have to spend hours and hours mining to make millions of dollars just to protect ourselves from griefing? Why can't we just build and have the server take care of the griefing problem for us?

i don't think we should just hand out protection stones to people that made something neat, either.

Why is this?  Oh look I built something cool GOD FORBID I want to actually protect that creation of mine.  No, the way the server is basically set up now is, Oh, you made this massive awesome place, that's cool I guess.  Oh what's that, you don't like getting griefed? Well HAHA, I guess you'll just have to go SLAVE IN THE MINES FOR 9 HOURS TO COBBLE(lol) ENOUGH MONEY TOGETHER TO AFFORD THAT   Protection from griefing comes at a premium around here.

Well, that's my two cents on the matter.  Adequate protection from griefers isn't something that should have to be earned.  Although, I do agree with your point that it wouldn't make sense to have mods flying around giving out the protections.  Which is why I think that for small things, protection stones should still be the way to go.  But there should be a place where someone can apply for protection over a large area.  And when the protection is gotten this way, it will be awarded to the person asking for it only if the thing they want protected is large enough to warrant a special protection stone or whatever.  This will only be in the case of large things that acquiring enough protection stones for isn't really feasible.  So this isn't for say, "Oh hey I built this hut out in the middle of nowhere, can I haz the protections now?" but just for where the amount of money it would take to protect is truly astronomical.

As I said before I think they're planning on doing something along these lines.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:21:17 am by Zezenov »

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:00:03 am »
I agree with Zez.

You forgot /rantoff =p

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:06:27 am »
So you want us to give out free protection to people who make nice builds, but not people who don't make nice builds? Seems a little one sided. But i agree that this needs to be sorted and we are working on it.
R.I.P. Blocky Jr. - Brutally killed by Kodak on accident

Zezenov

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:14:25 am »
So you want us to give out free protection to people who make nice builds, but not people who don't make nice builds? Seems a little one sided. But i agree that this needs to be sorted and we are working on it.

I didn't really mean that it would be an objective sort of thing like, "Oh well I really like what you did with the yard but these light fixtures are so drab.  Protection denied"  I mean like, if someone asked protection for a couple cobble stacked on top of eachother or a dirt mount, then they might get rejected, but beyond that they should be fine.  

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:23:56 am »
As far as I'm concerned, the whole buying protection stones system is flawed.  I don't see why protection from griefers has to be something that is earned .  If the mods can clearly see that you built something nice, why can't it be protected? Protection stones are all well and good for small things, but expansive builds need something else.  I'm pretty sure they're planning on doing something like this in the future.

I disagree.  I mean, what is 'surviving' really?  Growing some wheat in the garden, tossing that together into some bread, and having a proper munch on it from time to time?  Then waving your metal sword at the unfortunate skeleton passerby? Pretty much.  And then you say 'earning things'? Earning what exactly?  Money? To buy more blocks with?  Or perhaps diamonds to make tools to get blocks faster?  That's all well and good but the only purpose of acquiring these blocks is to actually place them.  Thus the purpose on a survival server, as on a creative server is to build things.  The only difference between the two types of servers is that on the survival server you get a handicap where you have to collect the blocks yourself and deal with the occasional monster and empty stomach. But the purpose is still very much to build things.  Which leads back into what I said about the protection stones.  The ONLY purpose of a protection stone is to protect oneself from griefing.  Which then makes me wonder why the server makes it so hard to get enough of these for large builds.  Why should we, in the case of big areas, have to spend hours and hours mining to make millions of dollars just to protect ourselves from griefing? Why can't we just build and have the server take care of the griefing problem for us?

i don't think we should just hand out protection stones to people that made something neat, either.

Why is this?  Oh look I built something cool GOD FORBID I want to actually protect that creation of mine.  No, the way the server is basically set up now is, Oh, you made this massive awesome place, that's cool I guess.  Oh what's that, you don't like getting griefed? Well HAHA, I guess you'll just have to go SLAVE IN THE MINES FOR 9 HOURS TO COBBLE(lol) ENOUGH MONEY TOGETHER TO AFFORD THAT

Well, that's my two cents on the matter.  Adequate protection from griefers isn't something that should have to be earned.

let's try this again

it's more complicated of an issue than you're making it out to be. we have a lot of players now. as we have it now, the mods are already overworked just undoing minor grief, let alone larger projects. it's simply not an option to have more things that need to be manually regulated by mods (i.e determining if a build is worthy of a free protection area). additionally, there will always be the guests that end up complaining about having a build that isn't "good" enough for free protection. nor is it an option to hand out protection stones to people on a build, as there is supposed to be an economy going. you can't just exempt people from paying for protection, because then their wallets get inflated and throws everything out of whack.

it's nice that you can coherently rant about it, but if that time had been spent thinking up a reasonable, fair, and elegant solution to the problem, we might be somewhere other than square 1.

I disagree.  I mean, what is 'surviving' really?  Growing some wheat in the garden, tossing that together into some bread, and having a proper munch on it from time to time?

if you're going to be this shallow about it, perhaps you would enjoy playing on the classic server instead. or is munching on the occasional bread what you prefer? it sounds to me that you're tired of the SMP game concepts and just want to throw down some blocks for passerby guests to gawk at, which is not my problem.

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:31:58 am »
Dejected thinking up smart ass replies isn't solving anything either.

Classic has the system of ranks etc, where the Ops decide on the ranks.. It seems to be working for now, people complain.. people will always complain. Why not at least trial the system that is already used and has been used for a while now?

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 04:44:08 am »

Classic has the system of ranks etc, where the Ops decide on the ranks.. It seems to be working for now, people complain.. people will always complain. Why not at least trial the system that is already used and has been used for a while now?
Because this is way different than ranks.

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 04:49:47 am »

Because this is way different than ranks.

I mean in the way that it's mods choice. That system seems to work, people still complain.
I know protection is different to ranks but the problems with the system wouldn't change, but at least there would be a system.

And a trial for it in a certain area or something couldn't hurt.

Zezenov

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:14:59 am »
Alright, first off to be fair I did get carried away with the ranting. I don't mean to pick a fight on this issue.  It's just that it's getting old having to go through this daily routine of detailing everything that was damaged in the nightly griefer raid to a mod and having to wander around with them for 10 minutes to get everything fixed.  It wastes everyone's time and there is no reason for it.  Secondly, I realize that dealing with applications for protection would add a lot of work for mods and such, which is why the applications would only be for very large builds, aka cities.  This would make the number of applications quite manageable. In regards to this causing inflation, I don't really see that being an issue.  This is in the case of builds that are so large that it is unreasonable to imagine buying enough protection stones for them.  In this case, the money for the protection stones never existed in the first place and the only difference will be that that person's house is now protected.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:26:42 am by Zezenov »

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 05:24:20 am »
Alright, first off to be fair I did get carried away with the ranting. Secondly, I realize that dealing with applications for protection would add a lot of work for mods and such, which is why the applications would only be for very large builds, aka cities.  This would make the number of applications quite manageable.  Also as far as the economy goes, it wouldn't have a negative effect.  To the contrary, it would have a positive one.  Think about it, when someone buys a protection stone, that money is gone forever . poof If that person didn't have to waste their money on griefer protection, they could have used that to buy something from another player.  Now, of course, the way the economy is, it's far more likely they'd just go buy it from the market and that money will be gone forever anyways, but that's another story.

It would start off as a lot of work, but once people start getting protected there will be less work on the grief fixing side of things.
It's not the perfect system and I've said you could always trial it. Everyone agrees on the problem but noone wants to try out an answer.

Nick3306

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:29:00 am »
Let me put it this way, only we can change the permissions on zones, that means any time you want to let someone build inside, you would have to contact us and we would have to add that person in. That is a very big hassle.