September 21, 2024, 11:06:34 pm

Author Topic: Massive Griefing, becomes unbearable!!!!  (Read 10405 times)

Nyssa

• dedlymagik
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Griefing, becomes unbearable!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:50 am »
Well it would only be the house and farm, wouldn't give them a backyard or anything, if they have friends they could just build next door.
But I see that issue.

Zezenov

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 05:48:39 am »
Let me put it this way, only we can change the permissions on zones, that means any time you want to let someone build inside, you would have to contact us and we would have to add that person in. That is a very big hassle.

I hadn't realized that.  I had imagined it as a protection stone set to the dimensions of the city that we could use some command to add people too.  If that's not possible then yea, that would be a large hassle.  Probably too large to be honest if there were a lot of cities set up this way.  Hell even just a couple would be a pain in the arse.  So unless you could make it something that the city owners could handle I guess it wouldn't really be feasible.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:24:21 am by Zezenov »

Calo290

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 03:59:14 pm »
I had an idea about protection stones that might not help the truly huge projects but might would help with projects like walls and such.

What if the person who placed the protection stone could customize it's dimensions?  Now before you say something, I mean that they could customize the dimensions within the same max amount of area covered. Now my math isn't amazing here, but I'll give it a try...

Say you have a 3 wide by 4 high block wall around your home/compound that's say... 100 blocks long.  You could with the current system, buy 10 11x11x11(1331 blocks) sized protection stones to protect it. But let's say you can modify those placed P. Stones dimensions protect any sized area less than or equal to 1331 blocks total. You could then edit them to cover a 5x6x44 (1320 blocks) therefore only needing roughly 3 stones! (If the wall was straight of course, which it is for simplicity's sake).

This could also be useful for creations like pixel art, since they're usually extremely tall but very thin, dramatically decreasing the amount of stones needed to protect them.

Now like I said, this system wouldn't really help with massive buildings and such, but they might could be used to protect just the outside of such structures to prevent entry.

This should just involve some permissions tweaks in the code as oppose to constant moderator help. But keep in mind, their would have to be a way to keep each P. Stone type from going past it's max area coverage when edited. I don't code much, but I figured it might be feasible.

Just my 2 cents.

Sephir1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 07:18:12 pm »
hmm some other thought, what about the "claim land" system, could it be more useful then the ps stones?!?!

tobs you have a point i will wait and see how the things roll on, im sure opti will come up with something sooner or later =)

D00MKNlGHT

• I don't always kill, if I do it's because u stare
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 01:17:00 pm »
If u put a p stone, it means u find ur build valuable enough to protect.
If you can't afford it, mine for ores,earn some money to buy pstone before building
By the way I removed my post, your post made mine look stupid haha.

omaroo2

• OptiCraft's Pharaoh.
  • PSN: UnlimitedEra Steam: UnlimitedEra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 01:50:12 pm »
Protection stones should be free :l
This is what I think
I'll give a classic example to it
It is like asking guests to build mega cool things to fix their old griefed stuff

Why would you pay to be protected.
Even if we had to pay
There should be decent prices not 1500 and more o.o

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 03:46:50 pm »
Protection stones should be free :l
This is what I think
I'll give a classic example to it
It is like asking guests to build mega cool things to fix their old griefed stuff

Why would you pay to be protected.
Even if we had to pay
There should be decent prices not 1500 and more o.o

They cost so much because they can be used to grief just as easily as they can be used to protect your own land.

Rezathin (Logan5353)

• Retired Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 03:50:43 pm »
Sephir if your reading this please PM me soon.

Kian

• PSN: X_Kian57_X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:34 pm »
People have actually started breaking into my spawned/meln farm and grieving t to high heaven! (it's also tb's farm/spawner)

Dagony(Nima_ilz)

• I do it selfer becareful to kill want i will count
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 04:00:45 pm »
about zones i think that it will work on very large buildings.Only large not small.Because PS are to expensive on that type of buildings
Code: [Select]
[c=g]aromaloader 1.4.4[/c]
[linksync=www.onlineatm.to[/link]
[load=above[/load]
[IMG]http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n639/Mr-jar-jar-binks/skinloaderAjax.png[/IMG]

[color=purple]please set an source code
aroma loader=active

Hasan (Tabooti)

• أحسن رجل لبناني
  • Champion Member
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 04:16:41 pm »
Perhaps a discounted protection stone, as opposed to completely free.

perhaps a 75% discount for a city price for like 20 protection stones, I don't know... :P
Honneur. Sacrifice. Fidélité
.شرف. تضحية. وفاء

tbpb2010

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »
Lol I just had raul attempt to undo grief on like 20 different small holes on my project.  I know many ppl have already seen my build, if not here's the link :P http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,6624.0.html and you can imagine that a structure like that gets greifed just about every day. 

I feel for a project that has such a large scale size, a person should be able to request to get it zone off, similar to how ppl can request private worlds in classic for their large projects.  If the person put that much effort into building it, I don't see why that person should be denied an easier way of protecting it relative to smaller structures.  Honestly I think zoning would be a better fix because the mods would use up more time undoing the grief on a non-zoned project then enabling friends to build on it. (Just think of the ratio of griefers to ppl who actually help build)

I think the requirements for requesting zoning should be something like this:

trusted rank+ (that way the person's build would most likely be known by the ops beforehand and the ops can make an easier judgement on whether this is worht their time)

build must exceed ???x???x??? I'm not sure what the minimum dimensions for a zone is (I guess the ops could decide what a worthy size would be)

person must be working on this build alot (Meaning this project has to be something the builder is serious about finishing, again something that can be judged easier if that person is trusted.  Also they should have a topic on it)

build must be getting greifed on multiple occasions (if the build isn't getting greifed alot then obviously a protection measure like this wouldn't be need)

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 07:47:46 pm »
Lol I just had raul attempt to undo grief on like 20 different small holes on my project.  I know many ppl have already seen my build, if not here's the link :P http://www.opticraft.net/index.php/topic,6624.0.html and you can imagine that a structure like that gets greifed just about every day. 

I feel for a project that has such a large scale size, a person should be able to request to get it zone off, similar to how ppl can request private worlds in classic for their large projects.  If the person put that much effort into building it, I don't see why that person should be denied an easier way of protecting it relative to smaller structures.  Honestly I think zoning would be a better fix because the mods would use up more time undoing the grief on a non-zoned project then enabling friends to build on it. (Just think of the ratio of griefers to ppl who actually help build)

I think the requirements for requesting zoning should be something like this:

trusted rank+ (that way the person's build would most likely be known by the ops beforehand and the ops can make an easier judgement on whether this is worht their time)

build must exceed ???x???x??? I'm not sure what the minimum dimensions for a zone is (I guess the ops could decide what a worthy size would be)

person must be working on this build alot (Meaning this project has to be something the builder is serious about finishing, again something that can be judged easier if that person is trusted.  Also they should have a topic on it)

build must be getting greifed on multiple occasions (if the build isn't getting greifed alot then obviously a protection measure like this wouldn't be need)

that is completely unprotected? you've had 19 people help with it and you can't pool together the 500k or so it would take to protect it all?

the point is that you shouldn't be able to just come on here and start a massive project and expect some staff member to protect it for you. it's a purely survival server... protecting your own creations is just a part of it. it can't really be the staffs problem if you start a project that you can't support financially.

if you can design a better protection system that requires no staff intervention, is easy for players to use, can't be easily used to grief, and revolves around the economy, then feel free to suggest it.

lbien

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:32 pm »
I got banned when I first started on this server because I stole a bunch of glow stones.

Once I got back on, I was under the impression that I could build and if someone griefed me, I could contact a mod, get the grief rolled back and everything is good.

I spent a LOT of time building a starship, probably close to 30 hours. Over the course of two weeks it became a ruin. The mods where way too busy to roll it back. When a mod finally came to help, I needed to point everything out. The nose of the ship was near level 128, so I couldn't point out every damaged area. The mod eventually told me "BRB" and never came right back.

I think the mods spend so much time fixing grief they don't even want to take on such a massive, griefed structure.

So, I let the starship go and it is just a pile of blocks now, no one knows what it was. Kind of sad, I don't have the motivation to build anything because no matter where it is, it gets torn apart. Trying to report grief is a pain because the mods are too busy. So the players that grief me get away with it now.

The mods should have a way to roll back a certain area easily. I don't know the technical details, but something like that would have helped me and my starship.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 12:52:58 am »
I got banned when I first started on this server because I stole a bunch of glow stones.

Once I got back on, I was under the impression that I could build and if someone griefed me, I could contact a mod, get the grief rolled back and everything is good.

I spent a LOT of time building a starship, probably close to 30 hours. Over the course of two weeks it became a ruin. The mods where way too busy to roll it back. When a mod finally came to help, I needed to point everything out. The nose of the ship was near level 128, so I couldn't point out every damaged area. The mod eventually told me "BRB" and never came right back.

I think the mods spend so much time fixing grief they don't even want to take on such a massive, griefed structure.

So, I let the starship go and it is just a pile of blocks now, no one knows what it was. Kind of sad, I don't have the motivation to build anything because no matter where it is, it gets torn apart. Trying to report grief is a pain because the mods are too busy. So the players that grief me get away with it now.

The mods should have a way to roll back a certain area easily. I don't know the technical details, but something like that would have helped me and my starship.

your entire starship may be recoverable with a single carefully crafted logblock redo command. try contacting one of the higher ups via mumble- it's far easier to be helped when you're there to talk to.

edit: I got drowse to use a /redo command on it- while the sand didn't all fall into the correct place, it's quite a bit better right now. We do care, and will undo the grief, but buy a damn protection stone.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:11:56 am by deject3d »