September 28, 2024, 05:17:58 pm

Author Topic: Reform for top_voter rewards  (Read 15319 times)

High Roller

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
Re: Reform for top_voter rewards
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
Why would we change this?
People are happy voting for diamonds, so why hand out extra rewards?
I think it's quite nice of Optical already to give the first three voters something extra

> People are happy voting for diamonds

says who?

diamonds are a boring reward. every server hands them out. why pass up an opportunity to come up with something new and better?

I feel the same way, But donation rewards can't be handed out because that is just swaying people in the opposite direction of donating their money which keeps the server alive.
im so sorry for this. my cock had a huge erection and it made an unpredictable growth and hit my keyboard. and then it spelled out a bad word that somebody banned me for. dont worry, my cock is being severely punished.

cschurz

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 07:29:15 pm »
Just look at the stats. Most people aren't voting atleast 5 times every day just to support the community.
People like shiny diamonds. I know I do.

i don't see us at #1 on the server lists. we've certainly got the community for it.

I feel the same way, But donation rewards can't be handed out because that is just swaying people in the opposite direction of donating their money which keeps the server alive.

we're not going to give donation rewards for voting. where did you get that idea?

High Roller

• SMP Trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32:15 pm »
Maybe 1 vote = 0.05$

So essentially, it takes 20 votes to even get 1$ worth of donations rewards, meaning 100 just to get something like /hat which is only 5$. This would encourage voting quite a bit, but I'm afraid of the value of donations going down.
We need donations to keep the server running, yet we would give them out? That's not very smart from a staff point of view.

(BTW the second quote I agree on)
im so sorry for this. my cock had a huge erection and it made an unpredictable growth and hit my keyboard. and then it spelled out a bad word that somebody banned me for. dont worry, my cock is being severely punished.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »
Let's not make a fuss about things. This is a suggestions thread, either throw out some suggestions or keep to yourself.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 09:03:26 pm »
Maybe 1 vote = 0.05$

So essentially, it takes 20 votes to even get 1$ worth of donations rewards, meaning 100 just to get something like /hat which is only 5$. This would encourage voting quite a bit, but I'm afraid of the value of donations going down.
We need donations to keep the server running, yet we would give them out? That's not very smart from a staff point of view.

(BTW the second quote I agree on)

Did you not hear the part where I said I didn't like the idea either? Lol
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

iGenerator

• Super Trusted
  • Champion Member
  • Mayor of Rosenberg
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 10:59:06 pm »
What about exp per vote?
Major Igenerator
City Planner for Stuttgart

DP

Xeadin

• Board Gamer
  • Champion Member
  • dip dip dip dip dip
    • View Profile
    • @Xeadin
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:20 pm »
Why should we add more to voting? As soon as we add something new to the voting system, people are gonna want even more at some point. That's not what we are looking for.

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 02:03:42 am »
I saw we change it to a lottery. A ticket per vote. Then we can have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd getting 30, 20, and 10. With this, the higher voters will still be getting a better shot at winning, but if you were in 4th place you still have a chance.

mcoon1

• Winter is Coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:38 am »
I agree with the raffle. A ticket per vote would encourage everyone to vote as often as they can AND would eliminate people becoming discouraged from voting due to missing a few votes.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 04:40:36 am »
You know....if we stopped using diamonds....their value would drastically increase...from then on people would rely on the diamonds in their possession already or on the diamonds still out there in mines.

Diamonds are meant to be a valuable item and they are to the community. Getting rid of the diamond reward will not only increase the rarity and value of diamonds, but increase the survival aspect of the server as well (people would need to find diamonds for their armors and weapons/tools). The enchanted items will raise in value a bit as well.

It could have some great positive effects.

Perhaps we can replace the diamond with the not as important but still fairly rare and super shiny emerald.

SalsaInABowl

• AKA SalsaOnTheFloor
  • Champion Member
  • Retired. Find me on Steam or IG.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 04:43:15 am »
If we are getting a new voting reward, I think it should be something less useful than diamonds, but not as useless as emeralds.
I don't play Minecraft anymore and hardly come back to these forums. If you want to contact me, find me on Steam or Instagram. Username for everything is SalsaInABowl.

mcoon1

• Winter is Coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 04:56:31 am »
...Everyone is missing the original point of this post. Diamonds are a GREAT voter reward. They allow players to focus less on mining and more on building (should they choose). This should NOT change.

The post is about changing the TOP_VOTER rewards. This system has been corrupted by (what I believe to be) people using bots, which has ruined the entire spirit of the TOP_VOTER competition.

If you would like to discuss replacing diamonds as the reward for everyday voting, I suggest that you make a separate topic.

DJAlphaWolf

• Former "Super Recruit"
  • Champion Member
  • Self Proclaimed Opticraft Entertainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 05:14:11 am »
I have never once used a bot to vote. That's a pretty large accusation you are making. The top voters are people who are very dedicated to the server and have time on their hands to vote. They have figured out ways to vote when they are not at home (via phone, tablet, ipod, etc.). They lead busy lives like all of us but they find 5 minutes during the day and 5 minutes at night to vote. We've all been knocked out from top voter spot at some point (if we were actually competing for it). We've all had something more important than voting. We possibly forgot or didnt register the fact that we needed to vote. The top voter rank celebrates those who have voted for the server most of all voters. Finding some little niche in time to vote. Sacrificing a miniscule piece of the time in their lives to compete, hope to win the reward and most of all, help Opticraft grow. By voting, players help the server gain more awareness and grow. It is only fair that the top voters who had the most dedication receive a reward for their hard work and for being the major help in raising server awareness.

Now there's a chance that people just press the vote button and don't actually fill out the captchas (I myself make sure to fill them out). But that's a whole other argument. (Which I believe should be something that optical/cschurz can work on fixing in the future).

If you are worried about top voter rewards, I think the current system is fine. The top 3 get a donation reward with a worth of $30, $20, or $10. Tell me why we need a reform there. To make it more fair to others that miss a vote or two? The top voter goes to the top voters not all the voters. Like someone said already on this thread, its like a race. The top 3 get a trophy and the others get recognition for participating. With the diamond or whatever reward u get from voting, that's an example of recognition. With the top voter reward, its that reward +some rewards for placing in the top 3 and being super dedicated.

I don't see an issue with anything but the voting rewards. The top voter rewards are perfect in my eyes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 05:27:35 am by DJAlphaWolf »

mcoon1

• Winter is Coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 05:25:57 am »
That is good and all... but I think that we need to look beyond what the "ultra-dedicated" few want and look to what would be better for the server. As they stand, the "Top_Voter" rewards are great, but they really only affect ~15 people. I am proposing reform that would encourage a person who may have 1/2 of the votes of the number one voter (which is still an impressive contribution) to continue to vote as often as they can.

I know that the current system is fun... but think about how many people it actually encourages to vote. The top 10? 15? A raffle would encourage EVERYONE to vote as often as they can. The way I see it, when it really comes down to it, a raffle would be a MUCH better use of the resources that are currently being expended in an effort to encourage voting.

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 05:59:14 am »
Don't know if anyones noticed, but this thread is just going around in circles.