September 22, 2024, 04:35:52 am

Author Topic: Resources World? - Don't kill me  (Read 4344 times)

Sugna

• -woodenslime-
    • View Profile
Resources World? - Don't kill me
« on: February 19, 2013, 11:59:30 am »
Don't kill me for making such a big suggestion but...

If you haven't realized some day all of the resources on opticraft are going to run out, most people would say "Just make another world",  nobody wants 3000 worlds everywhere and it would lag way too much.  So why not just make a resources world which resets every week.  This would be perfect to get resources without making too many worlds.  Please, please, please consider this.

And if you don't like the idea or find a fault with it don't just say "Thats a stupid idea" or "No" give a reason.

I hope this gets considered.

-WoodenSlime

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:05:05 pm by WoodenSlime »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wyboth

• Champion Member
  • No longer active - contact me on Reddit.
    • View Profile
    • Contact me via reddit
Re: Resources World? - Don't kill me
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 12:31:04 pm »
I disagree. I believe there are still plenty of resources left in all of our worlds. We just got a new guest world after a year or two of the old guest world, meaning that it takes players a very long time to use up resources. I just think it's far too early to be talking about things like this. Also, if we did implement this, we would have to use different seeds, since some people would remember the location of certain ores.

Edit: By the time we had enough worlds to cause noticeable lag, this server probably wouldn't exist anymore.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 12:34:09 pm by Wyboth »

I am inactive. Click here to send me a message that I'll actually see.

clawstrider

• The Clawsome One
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:54 pm »
Also, if we did implement this, we would have to use different seeds, since some people would remember the location of certain ores.

You do realise you seeds are randomly generated by default?

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 01:44:45 pm »
If it comes down to it, the borders on each world would probably just be constantly extended to avoid this happening.

zwaan111

• SMP - trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 01:45:25 pm »
opticrafts new guest world is about 4000*4000 blocks,

to make a diamond mine, you have to remove 2 blocks every 3 rows, meaning that you mine 2/3 * 4000 * 4000 blocks, this is about 10,6 million blocks to be mined, just to find all ores in 4 layers of blocks, there are about 32 layers (others are caves, minshafts and oceans) 32/4 = 8

8*10,6*106 = 85,3 million blocks.

there are 32264 members, this means that every member has to mine

85,3*106
________    blocks

this is 26449 blocks per player, and even most members who are registered arnt active, so the ores wont run out soon.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:47:31 pm by zwaan111 »

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
Ok sure, but aside from all the math, read my post =p

zwaan111

• SMP - trusted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 05:01:27 pm »
i read it =p

but my maths show that even without the world border expansion, it would still take a looooong time before the world runs out of ore.

Sugna

• -woodenslime-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 07:23:35 pm »
This plan has totally backfired on me :(.

I just thought it was an easy way of getting ores and resources that are no unobtainable.  Think about it, there will be animals there so you can kill a cow to get some leather and bring it back home.  The animals will be the biggest attraction to it.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Morrison1996

• I am the spawn of 2 worlds. I AM SlenderBrine.
  • Former moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:13 pm »
I remember since this kind of thing suggested before and it was shot down. I personally would like but it would be just another world that people have problems in and then if it were to regen it would be very hard for us staff to find xray tunnels. I actually would want this for the nether and for the end. End specifically for dragons and nether for collecting quartz.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:01:24 pm »
If it comes down to it, the borders on each world would probably just be constantly extended to avoid this happening.

well the problem with that is the reason we have world borders to begin with.

if we were to continually extend the world borders the map file size would become so large that it would either:
A)Be unload-able/UnHost-able
B)Get Corrupted
C)Both

so eventually we would require new worlds.... of course more likely than not a new world will come out before this need arises.... seeing as it's been working that way so far.... *crosses fingers for 4th world*

On Topic: the biggest problem with having a "mining world" that i can see is that people would just run through all the easy caves to get quick money then once that dries up they'd b back here complaining they need a new world cuz all the easy money's gone..... that and fresh caves make for the type of income the staff would apparently rather avoid given past history with pumpkins/melons/cactus and now iron..... if you think afk farming is rigged for making money try running through all the dark caves on a fresh world with a fortune pick and you'll make millions in less than a week
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.

Chief149

• Oppan Gangnam Style
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 09:35:00 pm »
It's a nice idea. The thought of it is nice, but the reality is it is flawed.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is this: xray

*Xray user digs little tunnels directly to all of the ores in the resource world
*gets tons of resources but leaves behind tunnels
*world gets reset. Tunnels never discovered. User never banned.

Best griefer name ^

RuthlessTomato

• Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 10:23:14 pm »
I remember since this kind of thing suggested before and it was shot down. I personally would like but it would be just another world that people have problems in and then if it were to regen it would be very hard for us staff to find xray tunnels. I actually would want this for the nether and for the end. End specifically for dragons and nether for collecting quartz.
Chief it was mentioned. But you really focused in on that, and it is a GREAT point. Maybe we have a grieftrap with diamonds.

Sugna

• -woodenslime-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 02:50:52 pm »
There needs to be an easy way to catch x-rayers...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DeeKay

• Owner
  • Champion Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 11:43:57 pm »

well the problem with that is the reason we have world borders to begin with.

if we were to continually extend the world borders the map file size would become so large that it would either:
A)Be unload-able/UnHost-able
B)Get Corrupted
C)Both

so eventually we would require new worlds.... of course more likely than not a new world will come out before this need arises.... seeing as it's been working that way so far.... *crosses fingers for 4th world*
Extending the border is 10 times less resourse demanding than having a whole new world.
Of course this isn't a problem right now since there's still plenty of ores, hence why an extension of the border would be a more reasonable short term fix.

tiggy26668

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:51 am »
(click to show/hide)
Extending the border is 10 times less resourse demanding than having a whole new world.
Of course this isn't a problem right now since there's still plenty of ores, hence why an extension of the border would be a more reasonable short term fix.

[/quote]

actually expanding the borders is prolly more resource intensive than a new world. mathematically speaking the further out u expand the borders the larger an area you're adding, to the point where adding 100 blocks in each direction adds a huge amount of cubic feet to the map to the point where it's double and tripling the size

2x2x2 = 8 ft^3

expand 2 in each direction (not counting vertical since it's constant)....

6x6x2 = 24 ft^3

2 more on each side...

10x10x2 200 ft^3

so after 2 tiny expands the map is now 25 times the size it started with....

course i wanted to simplify the explanation... really we're talking about a 4000x4000x256 space that we're expanding maybe 1000 blocks in each direction so.....

4000x4000x256 = 4.096 x 10^9

add 1000k blocks to each side....

6000x6000x256 = 9.216 x 10^9

as u can see 1000k blocks in each direction more than doubles the overall map size
and at this point we're talking billions of cubic feet which all needs to get saved somewhere once it's generated
I'm Much more smarter admin than whoever banned me.